Sunday, July 17, 2011

July 17, 2011

I ran with KF (the wife of a colleague and a new running buddy) last night for my "long" run. It was just under 6 miles and it would have been OK if it werent for 2 things:

1. potty issues
2. my calves

I dont know what it is with my body choosing the absolutely WORST time to want to evacuate, but it never fails. I wouldnt have minded that much if it werent for the fact that I was running with KF. She is a MUCH faster runner than I am and I always try to step up my game when Im running with her. We ended up having to walk about 1/2 mile last night because I was afraid that I would soil myself. We had quite a laugh about it.

The issue with my calves seems pretty obvious. They're tired! Im running every day for this 100 days of running challenge while training for the half marathon and I think I need to re-evaluate a little. After talking with KF (my running guru that inspired me to do the 100 days of running) Im going to switch up the program a little. According to the website 100daysofrunning.com, you are supposed to run 30 minutes every day for 100 days. Ive been thinking about it and I understand the importance of the cardiovascular benefits of having a minimum of 30 minutes of running, but to me the most important part is the fact that I am getting out there and running EVERY DAY. So, Ive come to a decision. Since Im not actually emailing my information to the website for an official 100 days of running t-shirt, Im going to do a combination of shorter and longer runs. Im thinking 1 long run, 2 days of intervals, 2 three-ish milers, and 2 short (1 mile) runs every week. Am I still running every day? Yes. Am I still going to make this a lifelong habit after 100 days? Yes. Do I have to run for 30 minutes to make that happen? No. Ive got 2 half marathons coming up that I have GOT to get focused on and my legs are never "fresh". They're always tired and that makes the long run so much harder. Im hoping the change in my running schedule will make a difference.

I will be going to get blood drawn tomorrow for the Dr to check my thyroid and vitamin D. I know my vitamin D had tanked again, but Ive been taking 5,000IU daily for about 2 weeks now so hopefully that will be going up. Maybe we will find an answer as to why Im not losing anymore weight right now. Ive got 34 more pounds to go and really wanted to get it off before I actually manage to convince Jeff to have another baby. I dont see that actually happening (the 34 lbs part) since if we do it, we will need to get pregnant in Aug/Sept/Oct. Oh well... the journey may take longer than expected, but it never ends...

No comments:

Post a Comment